It has been found that when we withhold our feelings, it can lead to tension in our muscle groups, neck, back, shoulder, and jaws. So it’s important to identify your feelings so that you are not holding these feelings by tightening your muscle groups.
Learning why you have trouble expressing your feelings can go a long way into changing that behaviour. Some reasons why people may find it difficult to express their feelings:
* They believe if they reveal their thoughts and feelings to those they care about would result in their rejection.
* They may think they should always be rational and in control of their emotions.
* They are afraid of being exposed as weak and vulnerable.
* They believe that they are not entitled to express their feelings or to ask others for what they want or need.
* They think they should always please other people and meet other peoples expectations.
Once you understand why you might not express your feeling, it’s important to express them appropriately.
It’s very therapeutic to share your feelings with a trustworthy person.
Sometimes it’s helpful to write how you’re feeling in a journal.
You could try doing a vigorous work out to vent some of the stress you feel when you are withholding anger. Deep breathing exercises, have a calming effect.
It’s important to pay attention to your needs and wants. Don’t try to hold your feelings but identify and express them, because withholding feelings is not healthy, and can cause serious health related problems.
With practice, saying how you feel is something you can learn how to do 😉